Are you looking for a container that can just easily be parked like a car without any additional permit? If yes, that means you’re probably trying to plan an efficient DIY moving container move, right? That’s where the moving company Zippy Shell, would come up as one of the recommended names in your research.
Founded by Gareth Taylor and Adam Gilchrist, Zippy Shell USA, LLC launched its services in the US in 2010. Since then, it has become a reputed name among container moving companies in the nation. If you’re considering hiring Zippy Shell, there may be some common queries regarding their services and prices that you may want answers for, right?
We want to help you in your research and that’s why we’ve covered a wide range of all positives and negatives of moving with Zippy Shell. Let’s get straight to the details so you can finally make your choice!
What Services Are Offered By Zippy Shell?
1. Local And Long Distance Moving: Some container moving companies offer only local or only long distance moves, but Zippy Shell caters to both of them. Their own branches are spread across 28 states in the US and recently, Zippy Shell has also partnered with 1-800-PACK-RAT to extend its services to other parts in the country. So, whether you’re a student moving out for your further studies or a young professional moving out for career opportunities, Zippy Shell strives to provide you affordable moving options, no matter the distance.
2. Storage Options: Whether it is mobile storage that you’re looking for or on-site storage solutions, Zippy Shell is here to provide you both. Their compact containers are built in a way to be easily accessible in all areas including dirt, grass and even inclines. You can opt for either short term or long term storage with Zippy Shell as per your schedule and needs. They will deliver the container right at your doorstep and then pick it up after 2-3 days after you’re done loading. You don’t even have to worry about transporting as Zippy Shell will coordinate everything while your belongings are in storage with them.
3. Storage Containers: Zippy Shell offers self storage containers in two main sizes – 10 foot and 15 foot. While their website does mention both these sizes, many reviews have stated that the 10 foot container is rarely available. But, their 15 foot containers are very popular for both local and long distance moves and the best part is that there isn’t a major price difference between the two of them.
Plus, both these containers are made of the same metal cage material with good enough durability. So, even if you were looking for a smaller one, you could get the benefit of the larger Zippy Shell container with only a little additional investment. Let us have a closer look at their specifications.
4. Loading And Unloading Referrals: Have you planned a DIY move with a Zippy Shell container, but then realize that you may need some additional help with the heavy lifting? You don’t have to run around looking for moving labor elsewhere as Zippy Shell provides referrals for loading, unloading as well as packing services. Basically, Zippy Shell would connect you with professional third party service providers and be the coordinator between them and you. Whether you need help loading those odd pieces of furniture onto your container or need assistance with packing your fragile items, just reach out to Zippy Shell and they would take it ahead for you.
Zippy Shell Storage Container Sizes
Internal Dimensions: 9’7” x 6’4” x 6’4”
Cubic Footage: 385 cf
Weight Limit: 4,500 lbs
Best Utility: Apt for local move of a studio or 1 bedroom apartment.
Internal Dimensions: 15’7” x 6’4” x 6’4”
Cubic Footage: 625 cf
Weight Limit: 4,500 lbs
Best Utility: Apt for both local and long distance moves for apartments with 2 to 3 bedrooms.
How Does Zippy Shell Work?
With a motto of combining the traditional moving benefits with the convenience of mobile container solutions, Zippy Shell strives to provide you the best services for a hassle free move. Their website has a step by step visual demonstration of how their process works.
After you book your self storage moving container, it will be delivered to your preferred location. Because of their innovative container solutions, you can easily park and manage those containers, either on the streets or on driveways and sidewalks, as per your convenience. Once your Zippy Shell container has arrived, you’ll have a period of up to 3 days to pack and load it up. Next, a Zippy Shell representative will pick up the container from your location and transport it to their climate controlled storage facility. Or if you need the container to be delivered directly at your new destination, Zippy Shell shall get that done too.
At any point in time, if you need to access your belongings, you can just call up Zippy Shell and they will make the required arrangements for you. The only thing to keep in mind is that you will have to personally get in touch with a Zippy Shell representative to get an estimate for your move. No rough estimates are available on their website as of now at least. You could either call them up or fill a request quote form on their website.
Zippy Shell Cost And Pricing
You can expect to pay between $1,800 to $2,400, on an average, for moving a 2-bedroom apartment across a distance of 1,000 miles with Zippy Shell. Since there aren’t any online estimates offered by Zippy Shell, do note that this is just a general approximate of what you can be expecting when moving with them. While prices could differ from this average, these are a few factors that would play a role in determining your overall cost:
- The size of your move – The number of containers that you use would affect your total cost.
- The distance of your move – Travel charges would be calculated based on the total mileage you’re covering. In most cases, a long distance move would cost you higher than a local move. Additionally, the fact that you’re shipping your container to a new destination or are sending it off to a Zippy Shell facility, would also make a difference to your total costs.
- The timing of your move – Moving during the spring or summer break is going to cost you more than moving in the off season, because services are more easily available in the off season.
- The storage time period – If you’re using Zippy Shell’s storage warehouse facility, then there would be an added cost based on the time period your container is in storage.
When it comes to making the payment, know that Zippy Shell only accepts payments by credit cards. In many cases, they would take the total payment in two installments. The first 50 percent of your total move cost would be charged two business days prior to your scheduled container delivery. And the second half of the payment would be taken when your container is delivered at your destination. However, if your scheduled delivery is after a month, then Zippy Shell would probably charge you for their monthly storage on the 31st day after delivery.
Reasons To Choose Zippy Shell
Flexible Loading and Unloading Options: Along with offering a convenient size of self storage containers, Zippy Shell also stands out for providing easy loading and unloading options. Not only can they connect you with a third party if you need moving labor for that heavy lifting, but you can also save a few bucks through Zippy Shell’s flexible loading and unloading options.
For instance, if you choose to load and unload your container at the Zippy Shell warehouse, then you will surely save quite a few bucks. To add to it, Zippy Shell offers one more convenience for ordering a container. Say you’ve ordered two containers but aren’t sure if you would need both of them. Zippy Shell, with their staggered delivery, will only deliver one container at a time. And, if you don’t need the second one, you can cancel it before delivery. So, you would end up paying only for what you’ve used.
Reasonable Prices: Another reason for the increasing popularity of Zippy Shell in the moving industry is the highly competitive prices that it provides for all of its services. While it may have some tough competition when it comes to moving small houses, reviews have suggested that prices offered by Zippy Shell for a medium sized home (2 – 3 bedrooms), is among the cheapest in the industry. Long distance moves with Zippy Shell are also comparatively reasonable and you would generally end up saving more than a full service move.
Compact Containers: As mentioned earlier, there are two main container sizes offered by Zippy Shell. While the small 10 foot container may not be available at all locations, the larger 15 foot container is very popular with their clients for both local and long distance moves. Along with having a caged interior, the advantage of Zippy Shell containers is that they are compact like small moving pods, and can be easily parked in parking lots where many containers don’t fit. What’s even better is that all Zippy Shell containers have a legal street permit, so you don’t have to worry about unnecessary parking tickets.
Storage Options: Zippy Shell provides a 30 day free storage period with all their long distance moves. So, even if you aren’t able to shift your belongings to your new house as planned, you can easily store them in a Zippy Shell container and they will keep it safe for you in their climate controlled warehouse. Their basic prices for both container rental and storage starts from around $159 per month. You can get in touch with a Zippy Shell representative for further details on the same.
Coverage Options: If you’re looking for safe coverage options for your belongings while they are in transit or in storage with Zippy Shell, you won’t have to go around looking for any third party insurances, as Zippy Shell does offer a content protection plan with each of its containers. They start with the standard coverage plan with a $5,000 deductible and move up to the plus and premium coverage plans.
While the plus coverage plan is priced around $149 per month and has a $2,500 deductible, the premium coverage plan offers the highest coverage amount of $50,000 and is priced at around $399 per month. $1,500 is the deductible amount with the premium coverage plan. You can confirm and get further details about these plans from a Zippy Shell representative.
Things To Keep In Mind Before Choosing Zippy Shell
No Online Quotes: If you’re looking for instant online quotes to compare, it may end up becoming a little tedious with Zippy Shell. That’s because the only way for you to get an estimate from Zippy Shell is by talking to their representative over call. While they do give you an option of filling in your contact details on their website and receiving a quote on your email, reviews have suggested that you may have to repeat all those details when their representative gets in touch with you. Unfortunately, their website also does not provide any pricing details, as of now at least.
Limited Availability: While you may want to access the reasonable services provided by Zippy Shell, the only issue could be the availability of their services at your location. As of now, Zippy Shell provides services in only 28 states in the country. Fortunately though, in 2018, Zippy Shell has partnered with 1-800-PACK-RAT and can cater to a larger audience. But keep in mind, that the services available could vary with the different locations.
Less Informative Website: When you’re researching about a company, it just becomes a little easier if their website explicitly mentions all the required details. While Zippy Shell’s website does offer some information on their locations and services provided, it does not provide any details when it comes to costs and pricing. Some reviews have also mentioned that there has been a little discrepancy in what is mentioned on their website and what is told by their customer service representative. However, once you get on call with a Zippy Shell representative, they will be able to give you the required details and answer all queries that you have.
Zippy Shell Contact Details
Phone: 888 – 947 – 7974
Address: 11640 Northpark Dr Suite 200, Wake Forest, NC 27587
Working Hours: Monday – Friday (8 am – 8 pm), Saturday (9:30 am – 8 pm), Sunday (9:30 am – 6:30 pm)
Is Zippy Shell Expensive?
Compared to its major competitors like PODS and 1-800-PACK-RAT, you will find the prices offered by Zippy Shell to be reasonable, especially for a medium sized home. However, there aren’t any rough online estimates provided by Zippy Shell. You will have to personally get in touch with their representative to get an idea about how your move would be priced. But overall, you can expect some factors like the distance of your move, size, timing and services you choose, to affect the total cost of moving or storing with Zippy Shell.
Also Read: PODS Review
What Is The Cancellation Policy With Zippy Shell?
Although their cancellation policy is not explicitly mentioned on Zippy Shell’s website, it does warn you of a cancellation fee of around $300, if you fail to cancel your booking at least 10 days prior to your scheduled move. Zippy Shell does not offer a lot of flexibility when it comes to cancelling your move as it may even charge you up to the full cost of your move, if you end up cancelling your move within 48 hours of the scheduled delivery.
Now that you’ve got a good idea about the functionality of Zippy Shell, you would probably be clear on whether it’s the right choice for you or not. If you’ve planned your move well and are looking for compact containers for your mid sized home, Zippy Shell will surely have one of the most reasonable prices for your move.
The only thing you would have to look for is its availability at your location. Before you make your final choice, we also suggest that you go through the local reviews of the Zippy Shell branch nearest to you. That will also help you make a better judgement for your choice.