While planning for a new house is tons of fun, moving isn’t exactly the most fun event in anyone’s calendar. It usually feels daunting, complex, confusing and just feels like a whole lot of work. And to be honest, it really is a whole lot of work. From packing to planning to getting quotes to choosing a moving company, moving requires a lot of effort. Thankfully, we’re going to make this a bit easier for you with our comprehensive reviews. Today, we’re reviewing one of the popular and established moving companies in the USA, called Allied Van Lines.
Is Allied Van Lines A Broker?
While Allied Van Lines is one of the most popular moving companies in the USA, they do also serve as a broker. An impressive feat they’ve achieved is that they have carried out over 250,000 moves in the last 15 years. All those moves included a variety of their services, including assistance with local, long distance, international, residential and corporate moves. They are also known to provide a wide array of moving services including online tracking, full-service packing and full valuation coverage. Interestingly, Allied Van Lines started off as a non-profit cooperative way back in 1928, and since then, they have grown into one of the largest and most successful moving companies in the country.
Services Provided by Allied Van Lines
Allied Van Lines is one of the few companies that offers a-la-carte options, making them a great choice for people who want a Do-It-Yourself move but could do with some help. Allied Van Lines offers a whole range of services that could really ease the stress out of moving.
1. Local, National and International Moving Services: With an experience of almost 100 years, they are pros at offering services for long distance, local and international moves. They have been known to be a great option for interstate moves as well, and are DOT licensed.
2. Corporate Relocation: If you are looking at moving your offices, don’t worry about all the paraphernalia and inventory. Allied Van lines will take care of everything like a pro and ensure that you and your employees have a smooth transition to your new location.
3. Packing And Unpacking Options: Instead of just giving customers full service packing that includes everything being taken care of, Allied Van Lines gives its clients a few options. You can pick between full service, or choose the more economical fragile-only option. If you want to pick and choose, there’s a range of a-la-carte services lines up. Allied also helps clients with unpacking and debris removal.
Alongside these, Allied Van Lines also helps with boxes and moving supplies, loading and unloading, disassembly and reassembly of furniture, disconnection and reconnection of appliances (incl. pools and hot tubs) custom crating for specialty items, storage-in-transit and permanent storage options, and auto and boat transportation. Allied has a shipment tracking system so you can keep an eye on the move whenever you want to. They also have shuttle services for homes that don’t have easy or convenient accessibility.
All the mentioned services are not necessarily included in your final moving price. Basic services like loading and unloading, furniture disassembly and assembly, shipment tracking, and basic liability coverage are included at no extra charge. Since Allied Van Lines provides a-la-carte services, you get the freedom to choose just a few services too, depending on your requirement.
Packing for a move can be quite a time-consuming hassle, and not everyone will be up to the challenge. This is where Allied Van Lines comes to the rescue, as they can help you with all kinds of packing options. They can also help in disconnecting your appliances and reconnecting them in your new home, but this comes at an additional cost.
1. Full Service Packing: This is one of the best options to choose if you don’t have the time or the energy to go about packing all your stuff. Allied Van Lines can help you with the whole gamut. Save yourself the hassle of worrying about the big move day and outsource all the work by opting for their full service option. Their team will come and take care of all the packing that needs to be done while you can devote your attention to other things that need it.
2. Fragile-Only Packing: This is for people who would rather do all their packing themselves but are worried about how to go about packing delicate and fragile items. After all, mirrors, fine china and delicate antiques require special attention and trained hands. Choosing fragile-only packing also helps you save a fair bit of money, since you are doing the major bulk of packing and only opting for this service. The fundamentals of deciding the cost are the same: it all depends on how much time it will take to pack those boxes and the type and number of boxes you would need. Known for being exceptionally economical, fragile-only packing is great if you want to save yourself the nerves of packing fragile items.
3. DIY Packing: Several people opt to DIY their moves in order to save up money on hiring packing services. Allied helps DIYers by providing them with moving supplies and boxes; not only does this save you the hassle of running around to find those supplies, but you also get an accurate number and size of boxes since the movers are experienced and can gauge well what you’d need.
Storage Options with Allied Van Lines
Allied Van Lines offers storage options at an additional cost, and you can choose between storage-in-transit, or permanent storage. You can keep your belongings stored with the storage-in-transit service for up to 90 days. If you think you need more time, or just want to store certain items out of the way until your next move, opt for the permanent storage solution.
See also: Best 24-Hour Storage Companies
Allied movers are all well-trained and are professionals at moving. But, with all the care that you can take to move, things can still happen and items can get damaged. Which is why it is only wise that you consider coverage so that you are compensated. Allied Van Lines offer Basic Liability Coverage at no additional cost and a full valuation coverage called Extra Care Protection that comes at an added fee.
Coverage options at a glance:
|Basic Liability Coverage||Extra Care Protection|
|Included Free of Cost|
Covers Damage During the Move
60 cents per pound per item
|Most Comprehensive Coverage in the Business|
Equal Value Replacement for Damaged Items
Full Coverage on Lost or Damaged Goods
1. Basic Liability Coverage: This is the more economical of the two options as it is included in your move with no extra charge. But the problem with basic liability coverage is that it is minimal. If you are someone who has a lot of valuable or fragile and delicate things to move, then this may not be the option for you. Basic Liability Coverage pays only $0.60 per pound per item for any loss or damage that occurs to your items during the move. No matter how valuable or expensive, this is all you will get.
2. Extra Care Protection: This is a comprehensive coverage option that is offered by Allied Van Services. It does feel heavy on the pocket, but then again, you get to minimise the loss of your valuable belongings. Extra Care Protection is not based on a per-item coverage amount. In fact, regardless of the weight of each individual item, it covers the total value of your belongings. If you do have an expensive piece damaged during the move, Allied Van Lines will pay to repair or replace it, whichever is the cheaper of the two, regardless of its current value. They will, however, pay only up to your coverage limit.
Whichever coverage option you choose, you have up to nine months to claim for your damaged goods. This makes it convenient for you as it gives you some time to unpack and settle into your new home before you start to worry about the woes of settling damages. It is always recommended that you go for Extra Care Protection, as it offers the maximum bang for your buck. However small your move, it still gives you that added layer of coverage that you do not get in the Basic Liability coverage.
Three cheers for this one! With Allied’s online tracking system, you can keep a tab on your prized belongings at any time, from anywhere. The tracking updates give you details like load dates, present location of the shipment and approximate delivery dates too.
Getting Estimates with Allied Van Lines
Allied Van Lines gives estimates with in-home visits, which you can schedule by calling them over the phone or contacting them via their website. After this, a local representative will contact you to schedule your in-home estimation visit. The local representative will then come over and walk through your home to gauge your inventory and understand what needs to be moved, whether there is any special equipment requirement and so on.
They also provide InstaQuotes through their website that can give you an approximate cost of your move depending on where you are moving from, the destination, home type, and date of moving. However, the quote is not instant, and is received after an Allied representative calls you on the phone.
How Much Does Allied Van Lines Cost?
Your move cost is determined by the services you opt for, the size and distance of your move, the time of the year and other factors. If you’re planning a small town move and don’t require any packing help, you could pay around $550 for a one-bedroom apartment. But you can expect to pay in the thousands if you are a medium-sized household that needs some light packing assistance. Have a 3-bedroom apartment or medium-sized house with packing services? Be ready to cough up anywhere between $1,700 to $2,400. A long-distance, large-house move could easily cost within the range of $2,000 to $6,000.
Each of these scenarios depend on the size and volume of your move, the bulk of your items, and the distance you will cover; you can only get an accurate cost once you get in touch with a representative. Allied Van Lines partners with other local moving companies who function as their agents to help with the move. Now while Allied is equipped to take care of a lot of aspects of moving, their agents may not be so adept at every bit of it. We advise some thorough research about the agents that Allied allocates you to.
Moving With Allied Van Lines
For your peace of mind, we’ve chalked up the steps in moving with Allied Van Lines:
- Cost Estimation: The local representative will visit your home to look over everything that has to be packed.
- Inventory and labelling: They will check and itemise your belongings, labelling them.
- Protection: Furniture and other items will be covered in plastic wrap to protect against dirt, dust and scratches.
- Loading and Unloading: Your belongings are then loaded onto a truck with an air-ride suspension system for safety and transported to the new location. After unloading, the movers will check everything against their inventory to ensure nothing is damaged or missing during the move.
- Unpacking: After unloading, the movers will then unpack all your belongings and place them wherever you want them to, including reassembling anything at your request and at an additional cost.
Things To Remember When Moving With Allied Van Lines
1. A Wide Network For All Moves: Interstate or international, they can help with everything, from storage to customs. Allied’s online tracking lets you keep a tab on the whereabouts of your belongings and a single point of contact with whom you can work throughout the move just makes it more efficient.
2. Damage and Insurance Claims: Allied Van Lines has claim forms available on their site for domestic and international moves. You will have a claim adjuster who will then acknowledge all your claims. However, you must remember not to do any repairs or replacements before Allied has had a chance to investigate the damage, or you may not be able to file the claim.
3. Advance Notice: If you are planning to use the services of Allied Van Lines, then it would be a good idea to give them a notice at least four weeks in advance in the months of October to April, and six weeks during the busier season of May to September.
4. Cost Estimation: Purge and get rid of all things unwanted before you get in touch with Allied Van Lines. Keeping unwanted things will not help you get an exact quote, as having unwanted items around makes it harder for the representative to be accurate about costs. Clear out your attic, garage, cupboards and closets so they can have a good look at everything, charging you a fair price. Also ensure that you clear off your dues before they can unload your belongings.
There are loads of moving companies to choose from; after all, moving is a big industry. But Allied Van Lines stands out for its customer service, experience, guaranteed pricing and efficient staff. They are clear in all their communication and will allocate a Personal Relocation Assistant who will be your one-point contact for all your queries and oversee your move. With convenience like this, we don’t feel any hesitation in recommending them for your move.