Are you considering renting trucks or trailers for your business? Then you must definitely have come across Ryder Truck Rental. After all, it’s among the leading truck rental companies in the US. But as with anything else, before you choose this truck rental, you want to know all there is to know about Ryder. Continue reading our comprehensive Ryder Truck Rental review so that you can make a well-informed decision.
What is Ryder?
Ryder System, Inc. is a transportation and logistics company, which was founded by James Ryder in 1933 in Florida. It started off with just one truck and over the years, Ryder has expanded its operations all across North America and the United Kingdom. Today, Ryder has over 272,000 trucks in its fleet and broadly provides services including fleet management, supply chain management, and dedicated transport solutions.
Services Offered By Ryder Truck Rental
With regards to trucks, Ryder provides vehicles to commercial business accounts on rent (non-commercial rental services have been stopped). Alternatively, you can also buy one of their used trucks. Now let’s find out more about the many trucks and services Ryder has at your disposal.
- Sprinter Vans: This is a light-duty van and the smallest in the Ryder rental fleet. But that belies the good cargo space and comfort they offer.
Capacity – 14 feet of cargo area with 547 cubic feet of space, and an interior height of 6.4 feet. Weight capacity of over 3,000 lbs.
2. Box Trucks: If you have to move within urban sprawls, then you can consider renting one of Ryder’s box trucks. As the trucks are cabovers instead of the conventional designs, maneuvering through traffic and narrow roads would be a piece of cake!
To make the loading easier, Ryder’s box trucks are also equipped with hydraulic lift gates or walk ramps. Let technology do all the heavy lifting!
Capacity – 16 feet with 960 cubic feet of cargo space. Weight capacity of over 6,000 lbs (liftgate capacity – 2,000 lbs)
3. Straight Trucks: These trucks aren’t that different from the box trucks, with the exception of their size and cargo capacity.
Capacity – 26 feet with over 1,600 cubic feet of cargo space. Weight capacity ranges between 8,000 to 15,000 lbs, depending on the make and model of the truck available.
4. Stake Trucks: If you’re running a construction/landscaping business or something along those lines, renting a Ryder stake truck would come in handy. These trucks have removable stakes and fitted with hydraulic lift gates that make loading and unloading easy.
Capacity – Cargo capacity ranges between 16-24 feet. Weight capacity ranges from 7,600 to 14,500 lbs, depending on the truck make and model.
5. Refrigerated Box Trucks: This reefer truck is compact and perfect for moving within crowded urban areas, thanks to its small size and cabover design. The insulated interiors and doors will keep your perishables safe from harm.
Capacity – 16 feet of cargo area with a weight capacity of over 7,000 lbs (liftgate capacity – 2,000 lbs)
6. Refrigerated Trucks: If you’re transporting temperature-sensitive goods, renting a refrigerated truck is the best option. This truck from Ryder offers a wide temperature range for safe transport, and automatic transmission for easier driving.
Capacity – 22-26 feet of cargo area, with over 1,600 cubic feet of cargo space. Weight capacity ranges from 7,000 to 13,000 lbs, and the hydraulic lift has a capacity of 3,000 lbs.
If you have your own semi trailers and only need tractors for hauling them, Ryder can provide you with them!
- Single-Axle Tractors: These heavy-duty tractors are best suited for short-distance hauling and within urban areas.
2. Tandem-Axle Tractors: For hauling stuff for longer distances and for added safety on the highway, you can rent Ryder’s tandem-axle tractors. They’re also equipped with extra-large fuel tanks to maximize uptime.
3. Sleeper Tractors: One for the long haul. These heavy-duty tractors provided by Ryder are tandem-axled, and also ensures that the driver also enjoys maximum comfort.
Alternatively, if you have a fleet of trucks but require trailers to haul goods, here are the trailer options provided by Ryder.
1. Flatbed Trailers: If you’re hauling heavy machinery and construction equipment, Ryder’s commercial flatbed trailers are what you can consider. They’re made of light aluminum and have increased their payload capacity.
Capacity – Two trailer length options – 45 and 48 feet, with width options of 96 and 102 inches. The weight capacity is 73,000 GVW.
2. Refrigerated Trailers: Ryder provides reefer trailers on rent. If you require a temperature-sensitive semi trailer to haul goods, this is a good option thanks to the extra three-inch insulation that would keep your goods safe.
Capacity – Four trailer length options – 28 feet, 45 feet, 48 feet, and 53 feet. Width options are 96 and 102 inches. The inside height is upto 110 inches. The weight capacity is 65,000 GVW.
3. Dry Van Trailers: These rental trailers from Ryder are great for heavy-duty commercial hauling, and with available air ride suspension and load security systems, your cargo can reach its destination without damage.
Capacity – Trailer length is 53 feet, with a width of 102 inches and an inside height of 110 inches. The weight capacity is 65,000 GVW.
How To Rent A Truck From Ryder?
Now that you know the wide array of trucks and trailers you can rent from Ryder, you might want to know how to book one. It’s simple, and here’s how!
- Visit the Ryder Truck Rental website.
- Add your area ZIP code or name in the ‘Availability Near’ box, your pickup and drop off date, and their respective times.
- Click on ‘Find A New Rental Vehicle’.
- Choose the trucks/tractors/trailers you wish to rent.
- Select the damage and liability coverage you want for each of your trucks/tractors/trailers (more on that below).
- Add your contact information, and then click on ‘Continue’.
- That’s it! Now you’ll get an email confirmation.
Or you can dial 1-888-99-RYDER and book the trucks/tractors/trailers you want by phone. Once the reservation is done, you can visit the Ryder rental location to collect your vehicle on the said date.
When collecting your rental trucks, you must bring your driver’s license and a valid ID proof. If the truck you’re renting has a gross weight exceeding 24,200 lbs, you must have a commercial driving license (CDL).
Keep in mind that Ryder Truck Rentals don’t allow one-way trips: you’ll have to return the truck from the same location you collected on the agreed-upon date.
How Much Does Renting A Ryder Truck Cost?
Generally speaking, renting a truck from Ryder is a bit more expensive than its competition. But to the company’s credit, Ryder provides the daily price for each of their rental services. But considering Ryder is spread over 425 locations in the US, the prices vary slightly by location. Here’s a table that could help you estimate the costs per day:
|New York City
|Refrigerated Box Trucks
If you’re a non-billing client, you’ll be expected to provide a credit card deposit. Ryder has made business accounts more appealing thanks to features including a first-time discount, pre-negotiated rental rates, your preferred fuel rates, and also after-hours pickup times.
See Also: The Average Cost of Moving Truck Rentals
In addition to these costs, you can also avail yourself of these coverages:
Physical damage premium: Protects you from any losses incurred by damaging the rental vehicle, with a $1,500 deductible. Starts from $22 a day.
Physical damage basic: Protects you from any losses incurred by damaging the rental vehicle, with a $3,000 deductible. Starts from $21 a day.
Liability premium: You’ll get an auto liability insurance with a limit of $1,000,000 while operating the vehicle. Starts from $34 a day.
Customer Reviews And Services
As Ryder Truck Rental is spread across the US, the customer reviews may not be consistent or even reflect the company as a whole. Generally speaking, Ryder Truck Rental has positive feedback from customers, as evidenced by the many reviews on Yelp (an average of 3.5/5). But at the same time, the majority of the critical reviews focus on the not-so-ideal customer service.
For the most part, you wouldn’t need to talk to a Ryder representative thanks to the comprehensive website. But if you want to get in touch with one, you can call customer service by calling 1-888-997-9337. We recommend doing this before you visit the location from where you rented your vehicles to confirm if they’ve opened for business.
While you’re on the road, apart from the insurance coverage provided, Ryder Truck Rental also offers 24/7 emergency roadside assistance. The trucks are all fixed with Geotabs so that you can keep track of your fleet. You can also manage your fleet by using the RyderGyde app.
What’s Great About Ryder Truck Rental?
1. Variety Of Trucks And Trailers
Ryder Truck Rental has a great variety of trucks and trailers at your disposal. Whether it’s a short haul within the city or a long haul, you can get a truck or trailer that suits your requirements perfectly.
To add to the trucks’ features, Ryder strives to ensure that their vehicles are more fuel efficient. This helps reduce cost and also the amount of emissions in the environment; sustainability is what Ryder System prides itself on.
2. Easy Availability Across The US
Ryder Truck Rental has over 425 locations across the US. So no matter where your business is, it’s more than likely that there’s a Ryder franchise somewhere around you. If you’re a billing customer, no matter where you are, you’ll be provided with the same service.
Things To Keep In Mind About Ryder Truck Rental
While there are a lot of positives about renting a truck from Ryder, there are some not-so-great aspects to it too.
1. Only Available For Businesses
Ryder Truck Rental was initially available for both commercial and non-commercial services. But since 2019, the company has shifted its focus to exclusively cater to businesses. So if you were planning to rent a truck/tractor/trailer for moving homes or any other personal reasons, you can’t avail the services of Ryder Truck Rental.
2. Same Pick-Up And Drop-Off Points
One major drawback of Ryder Truck Rentals is that it doesn’t allow one-way trips. Meaning you’ll have to drop off your truck or trailer exactly from where you picked it up. This can be a bit of an inconvenience, having to drive all the way back just to return what you rented.
3. Rates Charged Based On Calendar Dates
This means that Ryder Truck Rentals charges you based on how many calendar days you availed their service. For example, if you rent a truck at 9 am today and return it at 9 am tomorrow, you’ll be charged for two days, and not for 24 hours.
How much does it cost to rent a truck from Ryder?
The cost of renting a truck from Ryder depends on the type of truck and where you’re renting it from. For instance, renting a straight truck from Miami would cost you $137.95 per day, while in Houston it’ll be $170.95. Generally speaking, the larger the truck, the higher the cost.
Who has the cheapest truck rental?
As the name suggests, Budget Truck Rental is the cheapest truck rental. But unlike Ryder Truck Rentals, it doesn’t provide refrigerated trucks or trailers.
Can anyone rent a Ryder truck?
Ryder no longer provides trucks for personal use. If you want to rent a truck from Ryder, you’ll have to do so as a business.
Can anyone drive a moving truck?
So long as you have a valid driving license, you can drive a moving truck. But if the truck’s gross weight exceeds 26,000 lbs and the towed trailer weight exceeds 10,000 lbs you must have a commercial driving license.
Does Ryder do one-way rentals?
No, Ryder doesn’t provide one-way rentals. The trucks/tractors/trailers have to be returned to the same place you got them from.
How much does Ryder charge per mile?
Ryder charges people per mile. If you want to move something, it will cost depending on where you are moving it and how far away the place is. Some stores charge just 79 cents for each mile, but others charge 99 cents per mile during weekdays, and the price could be higher during weekends.
Does Ryder accept progressive?
Ryder Truck Rental will not take physical damage coverage issued by progressive. Hence, you will have to get a policy with their coverage, but to your surprise, it might actually be cheaper than the former’s coverage!
How fast do Ryder trucks go?
Ryder trucks use dual fuel and engines and typically average around 64 mph on the highway.
Is Ryder a good company to work for?
Ryder is a great place to be, with opportunities and support from managers who will help guide your career path in any direction. Managers are fair-minded individuals that assist when needed!
Does Ryder accept trade ins?
Trade-in your old fleet and lease a new truck through the Ryder System, Inc.’s Fleet Buy-Out Program. They will buy any eligible vehicle to make it easier for you to upgrade or replace aging vehicles with newer models that better accommodate customer needs!
We think that Ryder Truck Rental can be a good choice for your business if you’re not inclined towards buying your own trucks (you can buy second-hand trucks from Ryder if you want!) or trailers. While the company only allows round-trips, which is a downside, the easy availability and variety of services provided by Ryder Truck Rentals far outweigh the negatives.
Recommended Useful Resources
- Top-rated Coast to Coast Movers
- Best Out of State Moving Companies
- List of Reputed National Moving Companies
- Professional Long Distance Movers in the U.S.
- Approximate Moving Cost Calculator
People Also Ask